Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

My Remington 597 VTR Before and After

Pre-1898

I am almost done with my modifications. All I have to do now is treading the muzzle to accept the birdcage flash hider, and install the front sight kit with the front sling swivel.

I really wanted to give it a '' AR '' look, and I am quite happy with the results.

This is it before:

RemingtonVTR597.jpg

and now

MYVTR597001.jpg

OK, that really looks cool.  Where did you get each of the parts?

The receiver top rail is a hand modified one. I hand worked it to fit over the front yoke and added a black Zytel spacer at the back to fill the gap where the receiver drops. the rest are all AR 15 parts. The bull barrel was reduced in diameter to fit the front sight base, and I am waiting for my newly purchased 1/2X28 die to make the muzzle tread. An AR15 birdcage flash hider will be installed.

When you reduced the diameter of the barrel, did you machine it down, or install a new barrel? I wondered how you worked with the barrel. The hand guard looks really nice too.

I  took the barrel  off the receiver and brought it to a Machine shop . They machined it down on a lathe.

I now have more plans for it !  I Just bought a front grip mag holder  (like the one in the picture) and  I am planning to make a Magazine housing with it. If my plans work, I will make a complete  AR look alike magazine housing and attach an AR look alike trigger guard  to it. Then  will fit it to the actual magazine well  and use a airsoft AR magazine body to modifiy the magazine.  Might work ,might not! Will find out if this can work as soon I receive all the parts !:D

Magholder.jpg

Very cool, hope you didn'y have to go on the baloney and beans diet afterwards.

Actually did most of the work myself except turning the barrel on the lathe ( about $30 at the machine shop)  parts were not too bad either as I got some on eBay and some  good prices from folks  on gun forums.

• 4 weeks later...

Did some more modifications to it !  This is what it look like now. stil have few more things to do and it done !

I have presently a Hogue grip, a AR style magazine housing and a XM177 style slip over flash hider to put on it but they are still in transit !

001.jpg

003.jpg

002.jpg