Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

What type of optics for a Sig 522 Classic ?

clbshooter

Hi guys, new guy to the site and in need of some advise. I have been away from shooting for a looooong time and want to get some optics for my new 522. I want to shoot say from 25 yards out to 100 yards and be able (hopefully) to see the holes in the targets without buying a spotting scope. I would like some of the new bells and whistles ( Mil dot? red or green cross hairs ? not sure of all the terminology ) but like everyone else money is tight so say up to $150. I would like a scope, I think, better than one of the dot things ( as I said been a long time, lol). The last rifle I had with a scope was in the early 70's so the more info the better. Is there a site I can go to to update my self on scopes and lights?The Sig came with a set of cheap ( Williams ) iron sights so I did my best to mount them. I want to be able to use both, so I guess I also need info on mounts I can see thru. I just want to mount it and not have to re sight it every time I shoot it. thanks for the help.

I'll tell ya, on my 522 I run an EOTech 512, and 25 to 100 yards it's pretty good.  Now, I'm not talking 1" groups at 100 yards, but the steel silhouettes don't stand a chance.  If I wanted better, I guess I would think about adding a 3x or 5x magnifier in front of it, that should do the trick.

On one of my 10/22's I have the BSA Sweet 22 scope, speific for rimfire.  That scope will perform very well, and the price is really good.

:thumb:

Modern sighting systems for the AR platform (among others) allows for co-witnessing of the iron sights with the 1x optic. In other words, the iron sights see right through and align perfectly with the optics dot.

This very fast and instinctual to use.

I don't use magnifying optics on my tactical style rifles, only 1x. I use magnifying optics on rifles built specifically for longer range shots.

Just the way I see it.

• 1 year later...

I'll tell ya, on my 522 I run an EOTech 512, and 25 to 100 yards it's pretty good.  Now, I'm not talking 1" groups at 100 yards, but the steel silhouettes don't stand a chance.  If I wanted better, I guess I would think about adding a 3x or 5x magnifier in front of it, that should do the trick.

Sorry to necropost, but this is the only post I've seen relating to what I'm thinking about doing.  Mad, how did you feel about dropping the jing on a optic that is almost as expensive as the gun it went on?  I've got about $800 into my SIG522, and I've been debating a 512 or a 516 for it.  I've got a XPS2.0 on my AR and love it.  Just trying to justify the expense on a .22LR.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey ninja, sorry, just now seeing this post.

I don't mind at all, I have three of the 512's that I keep on hand to swap around on my close range weapons.  I shoot this rifle more than most others, so the way I look at it, I'm getting more use from the 512 on this application that I would on one of my 5.56 rifles.