Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Rifled Barrels

asmurff

I did not know there was such a thing...This site is an education for me.

The Taurus Judge has a hell of a spread with #4 shot, and Taurus claims the wide spread is due to the rifling. I've got an old JC Higgins 410 from the 20's. My grandfather gave it to me. Barrell has been cut down when he gave it to me. Said he stuck the barrell in the mud and the end of the barrell blew up so he cut it down. I have noticed it doesn't have near the spread of the judge, so I guess rifling with shot does increase spread and rifling on a slug would increase accuracy.???

Let us know how that rifled barrel does with slugs. You guys have got me interested in one for my Persuader...

Forget to mention..At one time the old 20's JC higgins would fire, but has not been fired in years, due to a messed up, and now missing firing pin...

But is my assumption logical.

A rifled shotgun barrell increases accuracy with a slug, but causes the pattern to spread with shot???

Curious..

• 2 weeks later...

Nice set up!!!

What's the range on that? Good to about 100 yds???

And BDavison was saying not to use rifled slug ammo..Was kind of wondering why?

You guys are terrible. The more I look at that rig the more I'm beginning to think..

"I got to get me one of those!!!" :grin:

Rats wasted trip to the gun store, no sabot slugs yet.

Then I bought a 36" Voodoo Tactical 2-rifle bag I was going to modify to hold the Mossberg with the 18.5" barrel installed and put the other 2 barrels (24" rifled & 28") on the other side. I measured the length with both the longer barels on, no one made a bag for one that long for either set-up. I was told  :o a 36" bag would hold a 18.5" barreled home defense shotgun so I didn't measure it  :bang: Wrong the gun measures 38.5", so now I have to go swap the bag out for the 42" bag  :confused:

I'm pretty sure the gun shop I use will let me swap for the 42" bag plus any difference. If they don't they'll lose one of their loyal customers, who has spent a lot of money in it. I payed $96 and change, a bit more than straight from voodoo, but I probably saved considering shipping. The local box store wants $120 for the same bag.

So if for some reason they won't exchange it, I like to get my money back or I couls keep it for my Spike's Tactical ST-15 which fits in it wonderfully and has enough pockets to carry all the accessories for it.