Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

What's your average shooting distance?

Frankie

What's the average distance you find yourself shooting your 15-22 - are you geared more towards up close and tactical or are you pushing long range?

Since I mainly shoot paper targets I find myself shooting at about 25yds, sometimes even closer. This is because any further out and I can barely tell where I am hitting the paper.

I shoot a tricked out 10/22 in Rimfire Tactical matches the targets are generally 25yd since shooters can use rifles or pistols.

50 to 100 yds when I'm trying to improve my accuracy. I have an el cheapo Marlin bolt action .22 I love to use off the bench with bi-pod at 50 yards on small challenging targets.

3626_d94588ef91080acaf0b024874990dcc4fec8b288.pdf

3627_b264eca58923f5e0db319cffea8e60bfe18bab06.pdf

3628_6dc88944d6402a0e12a7042e8b8c1caede2278ba.pdf

I swap out the 22 for same distances as regular centerfire, so anywhere from ~ 7 to 20 yards with the pistol and ~ 7 to 100 yards with the rifle. Of course sometime a tad closer or further depending on what drills I'm doing or speed.

I do find I tend to use reduced size targets more often with the rimfire in order to get them in closer so i can see shots on the paper. I'm a fan of shooting steel as well. Mostly because I'm lazy and hate swapping paper or other targets much.

I also have the advantage of having a private set of ranges on the farm here in good old Virginia.