Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Threaded muzzle

Microgunner

I figure before I bother to tear my MP apart, I would ask you guys. How hard is it to remove the barrel from the receiver as to get it in a lathe ? I assume that it is pressed in and not threaded into the receiver ? If I can get it out 1/2-28 threads will be no problem. 

Hey Cyclone, for the die portion you might want to experiment on some scrap stock of the correct diameter. It can be a little tricky getting the threads straight by hand. I would suspect guys who thread muzzles either thread it directly with threading tools meant for a lathe or have a setup in the lathe to keep the die straight and square to the muzzle.

Do you have the capability to turn the barrel to the correct diameter?

post-1-144124358819_thumb.jpg

Oh yeah ... I happen to be a metal fabricator. I will be doing it in a lathe for sure. We have a holder for dies also. 

Has anyone here got any advice as far as removing the barrel from the weapon. I can figure it out but any pointers would be appreciated.

I will snap some pics of the whole mess while I ruin a good barrel.  :o

I wonder what it would cost to get our existing barrels threaded?

I had my barrel threaded (1/2 x 28) by Olde English Gun Shop in Tipp City OH. If you are interested, give them a call and ask for Andrew. 937-667-3325. Cost was ~$80.00 area, and turn around was less than a week.

RSR Group is now listing the threaded muzzle version, though none in stock.

lSW811033  S&W M&P15-22 22LR 16" 25RD BLK THRD 

Product Specifications 

Manufacturer Smith & Wesson 

Model M&P 15 

Action Semi-automatic 

Caliber 22LR 

Barrel Length 16.5" 

Finish/Color Black 

Grips/Stock Synthetic 

Type of Barrel Threaded 

Capacity 25Rd 

Ellett Brothers is also listing them. Also none in stock.

SMITH & WESSON ®

M & P 15-22

• Features 6-position collapsible stock & A1-style flash suppressor  • 25 cap  • 16 inch barrel  • Semi-auto, gas-operated  • Dedicated .22 LR platform  • Lightweight, high strength polymer upper & lower receivers  • Adjustable front & rear sights  • AR15/M4-style features & controls  • A3-style flat top upper receiver  • Quad rail handguard accepts all 1913 Mil. Std. rail acceptable accessories  • A2 pistol grip - receiver will accept most standard, after-market AR15 pistol grips  • Receiver extension accepts Mil-Spec carbine stocks  • Functioning      charging handle  • 2-position receiver mounted safety  • Bolt holds open on empty  • Wt.: 5 lbs  • OAL: 31'' collapsed, 34'' extended

• 3 months later...