Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Chrono'd some .22lr

techmike

Tried the new chrono out on 2 flavors of ammo, Federal bulk and CCI AR Tactical. They are advertised at 1260 and 1200 FPS respectively.

The Federal (36 gn bullet) measured 1191, 1147, and 1169 for an average of 1169.

The CCI (40 gn bullet) measured 1065, 1117, and 1104 for an average of 1095.

Fired from a Colt/Umarex.

What is the usual +/- specs deviation from the box specs??

Dumb question but I really don't know..

Very cool that you have all the gear to measure their results..

Thanks for posting.

I don't know either - first time I have run any .22lr thru a chrono. I didn't expect that much variation. This is my 2nd chrono.... I shot my first one. But hey, it didn't work right anyway! ;D

not to go off  topic but how did the cci perform?

Outstanding. I think it is the most accurate ammo I have run thru the Colt. It shot about 1.5" lower than the Federal at 50yds, but it is a heavier bullet. Truly "minute-of-chipmunk". Pricey though, $20-ish a box of 375.

Federal on the left - CCI on the right

post-10-144124379184_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I have seen other photos of grouping comparing Federal to another brand. Each time the Federal was all over the map with brand "x" having better groupings. I have only used Federal but I am a new gun owner. Once these Federal are gone I want to find a better quality/more reliable round. The CCI grouping looks good. Are there other brands that are more constant than Federal? Or is every brand better?

I have seen other photos of grouping comparing Federal to another brand. Each time the Federal was all over the map with brand "x" having better groupings. I have only used Federal but I am a new gun owner. Once these Federal are gone I want to find a better quality/more reliable round. The CCI grouping looks good. Are there other brands that are more constant than Federal? Or is every brand better?

Well, except for the flyer, which was probably all me, the Federal group measured less than 1.5 inches... At 50 yds, I am happy with that. It is bulk ammo, and the price is right. I had one bad box of Federal bulk a few years ago, (which Federal offered to replace at no cost), other than that, I think it is great plinking ammo. Every time I go to WalMart, seems like I get another box or two. Winchester SuperX and Dynapoint is also good stuff. CCI is mighty fine, but can be pricey. I don't much care for Remington in semi autos, but it is fine in my bolt actions.

TM

I use mainly Federal also, 40gr Automatch for our tactical matches and 36gr hp for small critters. I've never had a problem with accuracy or function. I use these in my 10/22, Browning Buckmark and a Marlin bolt action. With the bolt action I can shoot under 1" groups all day long off of a bi-pod.

%7Boption%7DHere is a pic of my April 10,  2012,  ammo comparison series.

There is no significant difference in these groups.  The sequence was:  lower right,  Mini Mag 40 gr round nose;  lower left,  Mini Mag 36 gr HP;  upper right Win Super X round nose 1300 fps;  upper left Wildcat;  then the range went 'Green.'  When the range was 'Hot' again I adjusted the scope,  fired two 10 shot clips at a different target to warm up the rifle and then the final 10 shot Federal group.

I actually started with a warm-up series and then fired two 10-shot clips of Aguila SSS 60 gr at this target.  Group 1 at the bottom left aiming dot,  Group 2 at the top left stick-on dot.  All of these vanished except for the mark at 3 O'clock in the '6' ring where a 60 gr Aguila bullet (?) seems to have penetrated the paper sideways.  The first dozen of the Aguila's fed fine from a 20-round clip and then all went down the tube.  The spring in the clip could not work properly when the clip was less than half full;  feed was not working in other ways and many of the fired casings ended sideways between the bolt and the breech block.  This failure to properly eject also occurred with the 10-round clip I switched to in the middle of all this.  I would have a fired casing sideways & holding the bolt open with the next cartridge trying to feed into the chamber.  I have a brick of Aguila looking for a home?  I think this ammo needs a much faster barrel than the 1-16.  It might work with an M-15 using a conversion bolt group or a bolt action fast-twist rifle.  I do not trust it for my rifles.  There are several chemistries that work as firearms propellants.  I do not like the smell of the stuff Aguila uses in this ammo as a propellant.  I think of Coriolanus Snow's roses?

I was shooting with the rifle forearm resting on sandbags.  The bags,  or some of them,  may have been a little wet.  Wet sandbags do not work.  The last group,  the Federal brick,  may have benefited from the sandbags being moved around as well as the general purpose scope adjustment.

The 3 blue bullet holes at 6 O'clock in the red are from the other rifle.  The blue is tape on the target back.  The 2 white bullet holes at 6 O'clock very low are 300 gr hardcast 44 RM;  these hit a foot high from the Smith 'N' frame at 25 yds on my last trip to the range.  That revolver does well with anything I have fired,  commercial or handload, from 180 gr to 240 gr.  The 300 gr is a rifle load for my lever gun and this recipe does not work well in the revolver.  I need to work up a better load for the Smith.  The 300 gr Cast Performance hardcast is intended only as a backup for feral pig hunts with the primary weapon one of my 308 Win rifles.  I prefer to shoot the 'N' frame with 240 gr SWC's and light charges of Unique.

This comparison series is FWIW.  Compare it to my other pics;  things go differently on different days?  And: click on the pic to make it bigger?

post-1108-144124379749_thumb.jpg

This is a follow-up to my post of April 15 in this thread.

I finally got around to cleaning my 10/22 last night.  I discovered that the barrel band was broken.  The lug that the screw goes through had snapped off.  I do not know when this occurred.  The first thing I did was find a replacement and put it on order.  The second thing was to begin wondering if the last group on the target pic was tighter because all the pressure of the band on the barrel had been relieved?  I will address this in my next trip to the range and report whatever I find.  When I put the new barrel band in place I will try to not have so much pressure on the barrel,  too.  Excess pressure is in part a product of an accurizing pad that I added.  I was just following directions.  I will try to find out if the system suggested was valid.  I will say that most of the pads are intended to keep the receiver secure.  It is just the one pad under the barrel at the tip of the forearm that I am wondering about.