Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

What a truly F#%*ed-up turn of events!

wobblinwheel

Much to my own dismay, I have discovered a severe issue involving Colt/Umarex's "barrel-within-a-barrel" design on their M4 rifles.  One (apparently) defective round (dreaded Remington) blew the back-end of the case half-off while shooting yesterday. Scared the crap outta me! For whatever reason, the rim split at the base and made a big BANG! After shooting probably 3000 rounds or more, I've never seen this happen before, although I've heard of it happening. Anyway, to make a disgusting story disgusting, I guess my own negligence in play, I cleared the chamber and went back to firing. At about 80 yds, the group began to get really SCATTERED, so I figured I needed to disassemble and do a good cleaning of the bolt and barrel. Well guess what?? I cannot remove the barrel/bolt assembly from the receiver!  Apparently the blown casing left a stuck round in the barrel, about mid-way, and the next round blew it out, swelling that nice FLIMSY inner barrel, and seizing it to the outer barrel! No amount of force, tapping, HAMMERING will make it move!! At this point, the entire upper assembly is USELESS, as it can't be further disassembled until the barrel comes out! I'm thinking I may have to hacksaw the barrel in two, close to the receiver in order to remove the barrel. Then I would need a new inner AND outer barrel! That should be CHEAP!!! What a piss-poor design! Removing a barrel, shouldn't have to entail sawing it in half!!

Follow-up: Completely disassemble rifle. (removed front sight, quad-rail, barrel nut) Wrapped barrel in several layers of leather and put barrel in vise. Took a soft aluminum drift and proceeded to tap the thickest raised portion of the bolt-carrier (rearward, of course) and with tap #3, the bolt carrier busted, both halves. So much for not wanting to beat on the muzzle-end of the barrel, as not to flare IT out and make it stick in TWO (emphasis) places. Well, I beat the shit out of the muzzle (threaded) end, and it finally came out with no apparent damage to the outer barrel. Called Umarex and spoke to a REALLY HELPFUL (emphasis) guy named Troy, who helped me thru my dilemma, and located all my necessary parts (which they had, thank God). He also agreed to have the chamber checked, and reamed to the newer barrel diameter, which I had already done on mine. He said they are doing this to many of the older barrels to help with chambering issues on some ammo. I figured they'd get to that sooner or later. Anyway, it looks like I'll be back in business, all for $197.00 (sheeeeesh)! Isn't it amazing how a 4 cent bullet can cause $200 in damages?? I outta call REMINGTON (emphasis)!!!!!

I think the warranty was a year, or until it was disassembled further than the manual specifies. Also does not cover negligence, modifications or ammunition issues. I think WW, you are lucky no one was injured. I do not think it is fair to blame the rifle or design. Other than a few military-only guns that can fire under water, I know of no firearms that can survive launching a round down a plugged barrel. When I teach a basic pistol class, I stress over and over: If it doesn't sound right, STOP! (Emphasis added) That is a very basic safety rule that must be complied with. Again, you are lucky - it is just costing you some money. I was involved in a friend's legal action where his son's friend lost an eye with a 22lr ammo malf. These rifles are not toys. A few years ago I sold a friend a Ruger P-90, 45acp. Thing was built like a tank. Good thing, cause he was shooting reloads he bought from someone, ignored the squib, fired again and bulged the barrel. Ruger suggested melting it down. Look at THESE.

TM

TM, I do recognize my own negligence by firing that next round, and it's not the fault of the rifle. I am saying the "sleeved barrel" design made it EXTREMELY difficult to disassemble the rifle in this situation, whereas a "normal?" one-piece barrel removal would have been a cinch, without the resulting damage to the slide housing! By the way, the folks at Umarex said they have gotten these back before (don't know how many times) with MULTIPLE rounds piled-up in the bore!! It's nice to know I'm not the only dumb-ass out there............. not really, several dumb-asses are much worse than one!!

By the way, how do you UNDERLINE words on a computer??

I would love to do the CMMG thing, but money prohibits. I've always wanted a true AR that I could swap to Big Bullets! Beleive it or not, I've developed kind of a "bond" with my "Airsoft-Conversion". After working-out most of the bugs in this little jewel, it's become a joy to shoot. and shoot, and shoot. Couldn't afford that with 5.56. With the modified firing pin and the re-sized chamber, it had become ultra-reliable! I just gotta stay away from crappy ammo! My brother even bought some Remington primers that have been splitting in his Mini-30. I think Remington has some QC issues, and I have sent them an email to that effect. They are "looking into it".