Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Marksmanship Training

Elessar

I have been reading a lot of shooting web sights looking for a place that offers shooter training.  I have been shooting for a number of years and always wanted to be able to complete a formal shooters training course.  Does anyone have any experience with any of the training courses out there?

It all depends on exactly what kind of training you want. Are you looking to improve your actual marksmanship (accuracy) skills. Pistol or rifle? Look into IDPA or IPSC, and the NRA competitions which include the National Matches, Bianchi cup, etc.

In any case, when it comes to increasing your marksmanship, COMPETITION is the absolute best teacher...period.

I feel that I am a fair shooter now, but I would like to know if I am doing anything wrong and ways to improve.  I have read a lot from various programs and those that seem knowledgeable have a lot of political brain washing mixed with more than a little macho attitude.  I'm not admiting to agreeing or disagreeing with anyone's political opinions.  However, I would like to learn to shoot better without someone complicating the whole shootin' match.

I am a member of a sportsman's club that is very close to my home but I almost never see anyone else shooting when I'm there.  I can hear others shooting, from time to time, because it's that close to my front door.  The few times that I've met others at the club range, I was unimpressed with their range discipline or shooting habits, so I would not be inclined to ask any of them for assistance.

I've read about Appleseed and the content sounds comprehensive but the lessons are not offered locally and are not cheap when you add the cost of hotel to related supplies.  Still, Appleseed looks like the best opportunity for improving so far.

Tal I start with a new pistol I bought for self defense at 3 yards, once I'm comfortable with the trigger and the function I move back to 7 yards. I see no reason for shooting at 20 yards so I don't. I figure if I got that much space between me and an attackers with a pistols, I going to put more distance between us without going in a straight line. I figure most punks can't hit crap at 20 yards.

Tal I start with a new pistol I bought for delf defense at 3 yards, once I'm comfortable with the trigger and the function I move back to 7 yards. I see no reason for shotting at 20 yards so I don't. I figure if I got that much space between me and an attackers with a pistols, I going to put more distance between us without going in a straight line. I figure most punks can't hit crap at 20 yards.

I hear ya. When I got back into shooting a couple of years ago, I was shooting at 10 and 17 yards, and realized I needed a lot of work on trigger, recoil, sight picture etc...That's when I backed the targets back to about 3 yards like you're talking about. I studied stances, trigger control, sight alingment, target reaquision, etc..at that short distance. I fired a LOT of rounds at that distance. Sure I didn't look as sexy as the guy, in the next lane, just blasting away and hitting nothing, but after taking my time, between shots and analyzing, Accuracy came around. And surprise, surprise, so did my accuracy at distance.

Before all this crap started, and you could get a brick of 22 anywhere, anytime, we have 1" steel plates set up at 20 yards on a tree at my range. 10 plates set to one side, and when you get a good hit it swings the little steel plate to the other side.  I could hit 50% of them or better and swing them around to the other side in a 10 round clip before this started. What kills me is my son, with those young eyes and steadier hands, generally hits about 80% of them. That little #%$&^!@$% ;D

The thing about short distances is it does rebuild the fundamentals and a good place to start after a layoff, which since the shortage has hit it's been Christmas week since I been to the range. But from the videos and tv programs I've watched, if you have an attacker with a knife at 3 yards, you have really got to be quick on the draw to get him before he closes the gap and gets you. I practice my concealed draw at those short ranges.