Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

GSG-5/522 two years later

While fondling my GSG-5/522 the other night I thought it was time to ask how others feel about their GSG's now that the gun has been in circulation long enough to get feedback on areas like reliability, durability, parts breakage, parts availability, etc.

I still marvel at the sheer "beef" of the GSG's receiver and the "sub-receiver" inside that houses the bolt...the gun is truly built like a tank and after several years of being banged around and treated indifferently I feel emboldened to opine that the GSG is proving to be EXTREMELY durable.  Mine of course has "all" the mods such as the hammer strut mod, trigger travel mod, firing pin safety removed, firing pin safety lever cut down, secondary helper coil spring under the sear arm, and magazine safety removed.  I marvel at just how short and crisp the trigger pull feels to that original, long, mushy, indistinct pull out of the box.

With thousands of rounds fired - high velocity, hyper velocity, subsonic, with and without a suppressor attached the beefy little carbine has proven to be highly reliable...I'd say I'm more impressed with it now than I was two years ago!

What do others think?

• 2 weeks later...

:confused: ! I think the reason is because of the shortage of ammo. I mean seriously I just bought 1000rds of 7.62x39 for my AK at 25cent a round last week. With the avg 22lr round costing $0.35 cents now a days the love has fallen off for most people . I mean I cant lie I am now looking for an AK74 only because its cheep to shoot and ammo is easy to find . I still love my gsg and believe me it gets more attention then any other of my toys at the range  :thumb:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well after 2 years of ownership, my GSG522 is still spittin em out. No big problems with feeding and firing and its already gone thru over 6500rds. the hammer strut mod is still holding up aswell..

Its currently tucked away until I can find more bulk ammo.. California sucks when it comes to buying 22Lr ammo..

IMGP1133_zpsd44bce44.jpg

• 3 months later...

To me what's most important is that the GSG is proving to be a VERY durable weapon!  While .22LR ammo has gone up in price, those who laid in a stockpile several years ago are still benefitting from the reality that if the SHTF they have the "option" of laying down a high-volume base of fire without "wasting" precious CF ammo.

On top of that, with the appropriate modifications, the GSG is a VERY nice platform...reliable magazines abound, the receiver is built like a truck, and the bolt rides inside a SUB-receiver that only serves to insure the entire gun will last forever!

Smart owners have by now figured out solutions for suppression since that is one of the prime requirements for an urban defense weapon.

BTW, in case everyone has missed it, I've been noticing a lot of YouTube videos that talk about "hammer mods' and "Trigger mods" etc....but it all started here!

As with anything, most owners of the GSG will start to think there is another solution that's "better."

Well, let me disabuse you of such thoughts!

While much is made of the Ruger 10/22 being infinitely adaptable, so to is the GSG only it is possessed of really PHINE magazines!  The GSG has a massive aluminum alloy receiver, with a stout, alloy bolt housing...something the Ruger does NOT have.  All things being equal I would expect the GSG to hold up longer, better, and with less parts breakage than the 10/22!

The real key to GSG ownership is stockpiling enough MAGS!  You want at least a dozen or more!  IF the SHTF and you need to lay down a base of fire, your GSG will be THE "go-to" device!  If you've acquired a 110 round drum even better as long as you understand to limit your rate of fire to about 40 rounds per minute to avoid barrel leading with the .22LR...though copper plate ammo may solve this problem.

• 5 weeks later...

4,000 rounds is a LOT of bullets down he tube!

The GSG is built like a tank...despite early release opinions that it would not "hold up" it has in fact proven to be a VERY sturdy bullet launching platform...I mean, if you suddenly needed to use it to beat someone to death, perhaps you could damage it beyond function, but this is true of a great many bullet-launching devices.

IF on the other hand you use it to launch .22LR bullets...it will last forever.