Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Computers and Women

imschur

Im in charge of IT at my day job. The woman absolutely drive me insane the way the treat the computers. They have 20 windows open and get pissed when something doesnt respond right away. They proceed to keep clicking a shortcut to run a program if it doesnt open fast enough. I try to reason with them and explain that the program heard them the first time. They just cant help themselves.

Another thing they do is install every tool bar know to man (or woman) only to deny it later.

Then during the day if the system slows down with all the crap running they will reboot. That sounds fine on the surface except they dont have the patience to wait for all this crap they installed to close so they hit the power button to force a shutdown.

Printing - If it doesnt print they will keep trying until they are frustrated enough to ask their cubicle neighbors to try printing. Now all of them will try 42 times. Meanwhile the printer waits for a sheet to be manually fed because while they were managing their personal lives they accidentally chose a non standard paper.

Faxing - Always complaining that faxes dont reach their intended target. Again like printing they keep trying until the system pukes. The problem is always a mistyped or out of service number. i cant get them to grasp  the concept of dialing the number by phone to see whats at the other end.

Now with that ranting I decided to bring everyone uo to office 2007. If you havent used 2007 it uses a much different menu structure. Anyone care to guess how thats going?

>:D

Forgot one, the lady who does the books and payroll. Had a computer at the office since the old 386 days. Still has no grasp of saving files. Wherever it wants to go is just fine with her. How can you not learn that even by accident.

The owners at the office asked me to block many websites "unless the ladies ask for them to be unblocked"

Thats about the extent of the entire company policy on computers

I can sympathize...my wife would rant and rave when the computer would say "hit any key to continue" and she would get mad because she couldn't find the "any" key ! I finally told her the space bar was also the "ANY" key.

As far as printing goes, any delay between her hitting the print command and the actual start of the printing forces her to hit print at least 10 more times. Then she would get mad because it was really slow and get mad at me when I made her move so I could clear out the print queue !

Don't get me started on the radio presets in the car !

I love it! I used to be employed by Roche Biomedical Lab in Sacramento. We would get inspected by the state and the CAP every other year. One of the requirements was a weekly backup, or copy, of all correspondence, and the backups kept locked up. Copies were supposed to be on floppys. I was the "computer guy" so I had to tag along during the inspection. Never never will forget the look on the inspector's face when the secretary unlocked the file cabinet and showed him her indexed "copies" of the floppy discs. Yes, Xerox copies of floppy discs.

:beer: