Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Washington State Assault Weapons Ban

mcekim2

You may have already heard of Washington SB 6396.  It is presently in committee in the legislature.  The language in this bill is such that it would have far reaching effects on seemingly unrelated firearms such as shotguns, pistols with magazines with capacity higher than 10 rounds and even your 10/22 with aftermarket magazines with capacity greater than 10 rounds.  Please see the page at NRA-ILA:

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=5305

Here's one particularly fun part:

If you own a firearm(s) defined as an “assault weapon†on the date this bill becomes law, you can keep it if you are willing to allow your Sheriff to come into your home once every year to ensure you store your firearm(s) appropriately! (From NRA-ILA website)

Here's a link to the actual bill:

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/documents/billdocs/2009-10/Pdf/Bills/Senate%20Bills/6396.pdf

The language in it is truly scary!  I called the 3 legislators in my district to voice my opposition to it.  I urge other Washington residents to do the same.  This is a direct attack on our 2nd Amendment rights.

Thanks

I've thought about writing legislators in Washington, but haven't decided if it's appropriate or not since I'm not a resident. I know the gun banners have no problem voicing their opinion where they aren't residents, so maybe I should. mcekim2 do you have the names of the fence sitters who might be nudged in the right direction with a well reasoned argument.

Thanks for the positive response. The judiciary hearing is actually tomorrow, Tues, Jan 26.  FS2KSTD, glad to hear you took action.  I called mine before my original post.  I also emailed a bunch of gun owner friends and from what I understand, some of them forwarded my email.

Ammo smurf, since the hearing is tomorrow (sorry, I haven't been on line much this weekend), it may be a little late but here are the sponsors of the bill:

Senator Adam Kline (main sponsor) (360) 786-7688

Senator Jeanne Kohl-Welles (360) 786-7670

Senator Darlene Fairley (360) 786-7662

Senator Joe McDermott (360) 786-7667

If you wish to call their offices as a concerned gun owner and protector of our 2nd amendment rights, do it!

Thanks again, everyone! This is a great forum.

I will definitely get an e-mail out tonight to those four morons and call tomorrow morning.

I did see a news article today but don't remember where saying they didn't have the votes to pass this ban.

Good luck Washingtonians!

PS Make sure these four fools are on their last term in office.

Thank you for your support asmurff ... we Washingtonians appreciate it!  :thumb:

Unfortunately, none of these 4 idiots represent me, since I am in a different district. I have had issues with Adam Kline for a long time ... he once went on a tirade about banning snowmobiling statewide as well. That clown is a real POS as far as I'm concerned. The other 3 robots are just following his lead ... typical drones!

We'll keep you all updated after the judiciary hearing tomorrow ... thanks to all for your support.

Besides the fact that I vehemently disagree with these stupid bans based on the appearance of a weapon, I enjoy irritating politicians. Hey what else am I going to do, I'm retired early do to disabling heart conditions and have way to much time on my hands.

I like to point out in this case the Texas Tower shooter had not one black weapon with him, yet managed to kill 14.