Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Trigger for my 10/22

Everyone I talked to and all the reviews I read recommended the Timney triggers. My first instinct was a Basix which is what I have in my Marlin 925R.

BTW I figured up the rifle with the trigger and other mods with the cost of the rifle I'm at $718 and this is the last item for this one.  :beer:

• 2 months later...

Any updates on the Timney trigger for the 10/22?

Been in for about a month or more, breaks very crisply, at a much much lighter pull than the original, installation was simple enough for me and I don't have a gunsmithing background, you will need a third hand though. I recommend it highly.

• 1 year later...

My 10/22 is my first gun so I don't really have much to compare it to but the trigger seems a bit "heavy". I see on here that a trigger upgrade seems to be a popular mod for this gun. My question is what is a good trigger, the timney looks good but it seems odd to buy a $200 trigger for a $200 rifle.

My 10/22 is my first gun so I don't really have much to compare it to but the trigger seems a bit "heavy". I see on here that a trigger upgrade seems to be a popular mod for this gun. My question is what is a good trigger, the timney looks good but it seems odd to buy a $200 trigger for a $200 rifle.

Unfortunately the 10/22 trigger is a pretty substantial upgrade as it contains the entire assembly plus an extended mag release. Worth every penny though. If you are mechanically inclined you can install some POWER CUSTOM or Volquartsen aftermarket parts for about half the cost of the Timney

The 10/22's weakest link is the trigger.  You can spend some time with some sandpaper and make BIG improvements on your own.  $3.

If you're looking for a big step up; competition quality... it gets interesting -and expensive.  I've tried a few different 10/22 triggers and am a bit of a trigger aficionado.  I like a 2-stage and the Kidd is a stand-out.  The price isn't for the feint of heart.  Add a couple of options and you're over $300.  Makes a $200 trigger look like a bargain, eh?

http://www.coolguyguns.com/Two-Stage-Trigger_p_10.html

Oz

The trigger on my 10/22 from the factory was a little 'loose' feeling but not really bad.  I took the assembly apart and added shims behind the little buttons that are on the fire control box.  I also used oversize mounting pins to attach the trigger unit back to the receiver.  The end result was a good solid trigger with very little cash spent.  Springs in the assembly can be modified,  also,  to help adjust trigger pull weight.  I found all this in various posts on the internet back about 2008.  Most of those posts did,  however,  seem to date from the 1990's and first couple of years of the 2000's. 

Give me a few days.  I am trying to get around to doing a post on my Cheep Cheep 10/22 Accurizing Mod.  It will have the proper part identifiers and probably some pictures.  I printed everything I could find for my use and possible future reference.  I will get all that stuff out and see what I can manage about reporting my experience. 

There are drawings on the web with all parts,  exploded diagrams,  proper procedures for the 10/22.  Parts are available everywhere.  Start with minimum cash outlays and move up as you may prefer.

Be aware that accuracy begins with the shooter.  You need some up close and personal instruction from a person who actually knows what he is doing and why he is doing it,  and who likes you.  Trigger finger action is a whole universe,  breath control is another,  how you hold your gun(s) is a third universe.  And that is just getting started.  Try to learn to do things properly and learn good things up front.  Bad things are quite difficult to unlearn.

Disclaimer:  What we do in configuring and reconfiguring our guns is an individual fun thing.  For me,  seeing how I can improve accuracy at least expense is the most fun.  Do whatever you wish with your gun(s) and enjoy!!

Thanks for all the info guys, I will most likely replace the trigger at some point. Today was only my second time shooting so I want a bit more shooting time before I spend a lot of $$$.  I might try some in house modifications in the mean time. I have access to a CNC machine as well as some other things I could use so I'll try and figure something out.

• 1 year later...