Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Does rimfire really require a rimfire scope?

Mr. Jones

1. Does a rimfire rifle require a rimfire scope for maximum accuracy?

2. Will non-rimfire scopes function correctly (in regards to .22 ballistics vs windage/elevation clicks)?

which leads to the question:

3. I don't plan on much shooting past 100yds, but if i want to reach out and touch something at 200yds, how does a rimfire scope compare to non-rimfire for longer distances.

And finally,

4.  I hear of people having success with paintball, airsoft, and even BB gun scopes.  While I am a little leary of this, I wouldn't mind using one of the higher quality 4x ACOG clones if they are suitable.  What are your opinions on this?

In short, I am worried that the ballistics of a .22 will negate the functions of a scope originally designed for larger calibers.  Like the ACOG mentioned before-

if it is a real ACOG, it was designed for 5.56

if it is a paintball or airsoft ACOG, it was designed for those ballistics.

Or

I install a 10x scope designed for competition .223 - it seems logical to me that the scope could not be accurate at long distance because of the difference in ballistics.

Or maybe I am overthinking it; but I want to be sure.

I ask, because I just purchased a Sig522 (http://tactical22.net/forum/index.php/topic,965.0.html) which came with no sight whatsoever.  A $60 Center Point red dot from wal mart is performing surprisingly well up to 50~75 yards, but I cannot quite get a clear picture at 100yd.

I own 4 rimfires, but have always used iron sights or the scope that came with the rifle.  Now that I have a highly customizable rifle that can accept all the goodies I always wanted, I worry about spending big on a quality advanced optics package - that doesn't work with a .22

Look at the ballistics here. .22 drops like a rock

.22 Scopes are set to a different parallax then centerfire rifle scopes. Ceterfire scopes can work find if they have and adjustable objective that allows very close range focus. You can calculate your clicks and then verify them in the field.

There are quality .22 scopes if you are so inclined. They may look a bit funny on the sig though

I would not suggesting shooting anything living at ranges beyond 100 yards with a .22. There are better suited cartridges for those tasks. Look at the .17hmr for comparison. It pummels the .22

Personally I would look at something like the Millet DMS. You can shoot fast with the big circle and use the fine dot for precision

reticle_dms.jpg

So the general idea seems to be that I can utilize any optic as long as I take into account the ballistics of the .22 in relation to the scope's reticule/mil dots?

For instance,

Mounted on a .223, a specific scope is worth 1/2" per click at 100yd with a standard mil formula. Situation Normal, and you can almost hit the bull before you even shoot the rifle by calculating the formula correctly (much love, spotters).

or

Mounted on a .22,  wouldn't the wind/elev adjustment start counting for more or less, like 1" per click or 1/4" per click.  If so, wouldn't this throw off the mil formula/ dots accuracy?  Where one line or dot now equals something totally different than is intended.

Just seems like something has to give with the scope marking and settings in relation to ballistics. I have three other scopes I would try, but all dovetail/modified mount for my older .308 and an SKS I used to drag around.

Probably doesn't matter, since I am not trying to be an elite sniper with the rifle, just chew up some targets at 50 and 100 yards, and regrettably pop the occasional troublesome varmint. 

Ultimately, I just want to be as educated as possible on the subject, especially before I potentially spend hundreds of dollars on my optics package.

This rifle deserves it, I think she's a sleeper with a 4x ACOG (clone of course  :P ) for short work and a 10x for >100yd objectives.

edit- Nevermind.  The parallax concept, mentioned earlier,  just now sunk into my thick head.  ::) 

I understand now how I could create my own formula as well. 

Would this be different for every scope?

Thanks guys, I just couldn't wrap my brain around it.  Gonna go scope out some optics at midway!

• 2 months later...

The difference between rimfire and center-fire scopes consists of the following.

Eye Relief-

On a center-fire rifle, you need quite a bit of eye relief so that you dont get a scope bell to the eye socket during the recoil of the rifle.

Rimfire....not so much.

Optics Tuning- The centerfire scope is tuned for ranges of 100 yds + to take advantage of a centerfire rifles ballistics.

Since most .22 rounds tend to start wondering after 130 yds, their optics are tuned for 100 yard shooting.

This fine tuning of the optics usually is to reduce parallax at the shorter ranges that most rimfire rifles would be shooting at.

You may notice on many scopes, the forward bell has markings for ranges that you will be shooting at. A centerfire scope might start at 50 yards and go up to well over 500 yards. This setting is to correct the scope for parallax at that specific range.

And finally, things like Bullet Drop Compensators on a centerfire scope are useless for rimfire cartridges since the ballistic trajectories are quite different.

Now as far as your question, regarding if centerfire scopes can be used on rimfire rifles?

YES, they can. And they can be quite effective if properly matched to the rifle and mounted.

If you choose to go with a centerfire scope, if possible choose one that has a parallax adjustment from 15-150 yards to take advantage of the rimfire's ballistic range.

Larger diameter scopes are preferred because they will let more light in...which is helpful if you are zoomed in at 16x at a target 100 yards away.

Try to find a scope with as tight a reticle adjustment as possible. 1/8" adjustment at 100 yards or better. When shooting at .22 ranges, a 1/4" at 100 yard scope will make you hold during some shooting scenarios. If your scope is adjustable at tighter tolerances such as 1/8" or less, it will really help you zero it dead on.

Steer away from BDC, or other gimmick reticles, unless they are specifically designed for .22 ballistic trajectories.

If you choose a scope with an illuminated reticle, make sure that the reticle is adjustable for brightness. A overly bright reticle will create issues at .22 ranges since it tends to overpower the target.

• 1 year later...

Very old thread.

Anyway:

22 rimfire scopes are not built to cope with the recoil of a centerfire rifle.

Air rifle scopes are not built to cope with the intensity of recoil a gunpowder cartridge delivers.  Also,  gunpowder rifle scopes are not built to cope with the kind of recoil an air rifle generates.  Gunpowder pushes the rifle back.  Usually with a sharply applied substantial force.  End of story.  An air rifle pushes back but with a rather prolonged shove.  Then there is another jolt the other way.  A gunpowder rifle scope will not usually tolerate the reversed recoil for very many repetitions because it is not constructed to do so.  Do not mix the two different kinds of scopes on guns they are not intended for.  This is a restatement of something I read somewhere that seemed to be professionally competent.

I use a 'big rifle' 4X scope on my 10/22.  Plenty of optical power for the effective range of the 22LR cartridge.  Easy focus at 50 to 100 yards.  Those are the available target distances of the places where I can shoot.  My scope was cheap-  $70 at Wally World (2008 ?) in a bubble pak.  Might last one season (5 shots to adjust aim,  2 shots in the woods) for hunting on a big rifle but on the 22 rimfire it has a good chance of lasting forever.

I have a nice little variable 22 rimfire scope.  I prefer the look of the bigger 4X scope on top of my 10/22.