Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Ciener 1911 .45acp to .22lr

asmurff

I was looking at their web site today and have a couple of questions for those who may have gone this route.

How well does it work? I don't want a lot of FTEs it screws with my rythm and fun.

Is it the switch over easy enough between the two I wouldn't notice will doing my regular after shooting cleaning?

Will it cause problems with the pistol in .45acp mode?

I don't currently have one, but did many years ago.

How well does it work? I don't want a lot of FTEs it screws with my rythm and fun.

Some work very well, some do not. I thinkthe key is to use HV rounds for a break in period, and then you may be able to go with regular ammo.

Is it the switch over easy enough between the two I wouldn't notice will doing my regular after shooting cleaning?

Switch over is easy as pulling the slide off, and placing the new one on. Very easy.

Will it cause problems with the pistol in .45acp mode?

This is not like a Ciener conversion for an AR, where you have to worry about fouling up the gas tube. You use the entire upper half for 22 and for 45.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Killbreaux I am glad you have had great luck.  I have owned two and sold them quickly, I have had access to three others and all 5 were to put it mildly, JUNK.  They were NOT simple slide on to Colt frames, modifications were necessary.  Cieners customer service is nonexistent.  They did not return calls, letters and emails.  I have no use for them and their products.

I know others have had good service but my experience says stay away.  Brownells is a reputable company and their dropping the Ciener products tells me all I need to know.

• 3 years later...

Killbreaux I am glad you have had great luck.  I have owned two and sold them quickly, I have had access to three others and all 5 were to put it mildly, JUNK.  They were NOT simple slide on to Colt frames, modifications were necessary.  Cieners customer service is nonexistent.  They did not return calls, letters and emails.  I have no use for them and their products.

I know others have had good service but my experience says stay away.  Brownells is a reputable company and their dropping the Ciener products tells me all I need to know.

Sorry for the late reply.

I'm not sure I'm a good "validator" of Ciener's delivered quality because I do so much "building" of various guns and parts I probably tend to minimize any fitting or functioning issues because I resolve them during the fitting stage.  My Ciener unit was originally mounted on a custom milled, SS 1911 frame, then subsequently purpose-fitted to a milled aluminum 1911 frame, which means the slide-to-frame fit was hand-fitted and honed to ideal tolerance.  Generally speaking, any "conversion" unit should be presumed to require fitting and such fitting should be applied to the UNIT itself, not to the base frame.

I've never had to contact Ciener about service, but as I remember it, my order was filled promptly with no issues.  The quality of the anodized aluminum slide, and blackened barrel unit is very high...very crisp with high-end adjustable sights, so while I have no idea how Ciener is conducting business of late, about 12-14 years ago he was doing it right.