Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Sport - Common dislike

Dangermouse

I had a realisation a couple of years back whilst having lunch with my shooting team.

It turns out that none of us like, what you call soccer.

Since then I posted a thread on a UK Forum and 99% of the replies agreed and for one reason or another shooters do not follow soccer.

I now ask this question to any would be members of our club "which soccer team do you support" If they have a favourite, I know that they will probably not enjoy the sport. Strange, but that's they way it is.

So, I got to wondering, is there any similar situation in the U.S.A?

On a similar train of thought, I have long felt that the game of cricket could be made more interesting if there was a buried land mine or two hidden on the pitch.

The cultures in the USA and UK are well documented as being different in many areas, I guess that this is another area.

I would never dream of taking my daughters to a football (soccer) game as I would not wish to subject them to the language or behaviour of the crowd.

Enjoy your sports, I am not anti sport,

DM

So the news reports of the football crowds behavior are not exaggerated. I like to once or twice a year go watch the local minor league baseball team play. They are the Albuqerque Isotopes the Triple A team for the Dodgers. The fans are well behaved and Isotope Park is very nice, with good food and drink.

However, as much as I like baseball in person it can sometimes be as exciting as watching grass grow. I've often wondered if you could combine baseball with trap, skeet or sporting clays  :grin:

There used to be a shooting game played somewhere in the US where benchrest shooters would fire .22's at golf balls mounted on tees at different ranges. Directly behind the ball would be a vertical plywood backstop with a hole slightly larger than the ball. The object, knock the ball through the hole with the shot. The catch, the ball is offset to the hole so you'll have to use english as in billiards. I want to try this game someday.

I used to be SO into pro sports - had SF 49ers season tickets, Sacramento Kings tickets, and went to many SF Giants games every year. It just got too expensive, the players are too pampered and childish. (and tattooed) I now live in Toledo, OH - go to a couple of Mud Hens games a year - very much fun - the players at this league are still real people, and it doesn't cost a fortune. But I REALLY miss Candlestick Park - there are some really neat clubs and restaurants in that place! Had some great tailgates there!

TM

PS - Not so much into soccer.....

• 2 weeks later...