Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Walther P-22

Madhouse

• 4 weeks later...

I own one in green. Lots of reliability mods on line for them but mine has functioned near flawlessly without performing any of them. Reasonably accurate and a real kid magnet.

I had heard rumblings on the internet of this as well, but mine has never had an issue.  You never know if those internet warriors have properly prepped the gun before shooting, etc.

• 9 months later...

This was the weirdest gun non-sale ever! Guy had a gun for sale. (Walther p-22) I wanted to buy it. We both agreed on the price. We both agreed on place and time. We both showed up.( he was 30 mins late) I had the $$. He forgot to bring the gun.

:o

TM So I stopped at Gander Mtn. on the way home and picked up a Sig Mosquito for $40 more.  ;D

TM

• 6 months later...

The P22 is a great little, compact .22LR.  My "CA compliant" model has proven to be reliable with absolutely EVERYTHING I have ever fed into it.  With that said the plastic sights aren't up to rough handling standards but the other side of that coin is they are easily replaced.

One negative comment about the P22 that must be dispelled is the notion that it uses a zinc slide for the sake of cheapness...this is not true.  While I have no way to test the metallurgy of the slide, the bare portion visible (slide rails) looks like bright aluminum AND the critical breech face section is actually a steel insert (it's magnetic) so I have every confidence it will wear as well as any other .22LR.

The grip frame is a very high quality polymer with crisp edges and markings.

The non-Kalifornia model comes with a wrench to unscrew the barrel bushing and remove/replace the barrel with ease.

I have shot about 500 rounds through mine so far with not a single malfuntion, which means that if it malfunctions on the very next shot it will still be off the scale for functional reliability even for centerfire weapons.

For those who question the performance of short barrelled .22's go here:

http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs27.htm

I don't generally carry a firearm, and when I do I generally carry a large-caliber auto in my car, but here are times when a small, lightweight .22LR is the ideal choice to tuck into a pocket based on threat conditions and the P22 loaded with Aguila 30gr. roundnose ("solids") hypervelocity "supermax" loads can be very comforting.  Non expanding .22's have quite adequate penetration to do the job if the shots are placed well...same as with larger caliber handgun rounds.

One negative comment about the P22 that must be dispelled is the notion that it uses a zinc slide for the sake of cheapness...this is not true.  While I have no way to test the metallurgy of the slide' date=' the bare portion visible (slide rails) looks like bright aluminum          [/quote']   

This is from SpentBrass.com:

Overall: 4 stars

Construction: 3 stars - (Deduction for use of of cast-zinc for the slide. Without pot-metal it would have received a 4.5.)

Price: 4.5 stars

Reliability: 4.5 stars (When used with recommended ammunition*)

Accuracy: 4 stars

Operational Cost: 5 stars

The slide is actually a zinc alloy and although my P22 gave me very few opportunities to complain I've made the decision to limit my zamak firearms as much as possible. Personal preference is all.       

I have to say, I've been nothing less than impressed with my P22.  But I seem to remember something about the early release models having various issues, not the least of which were defective magazines?

Mine has functioned 100%...and I'm not even trying to exaggerate.  Cleaning has been easy...I am always surprised at how clean the action is after shooting.

When I first got the P22 I thought I needed to baby it due to it's construction but nothing like that has been the case.

I should mention my Ciener Platinum Cup .22LR conversion unit the the 1911 uses an all aluminum slide (granted anodized aluminum has a higher surface hardness than steel), and the P22 uses a full, steel insert within the slide where all the hammering and bashing goes on.

One thing I DID modify was the hammer's top edge before I ever fired it...I filed and stoned it down until the retracting slide barely presses on it and that very much smoothed up the gun's operation.  As purchased the hammer placed considerable upward pressure on the slide during cocking and perhaps that has much to do with why my pistol has never FTF, or FTE.  Once that hammer is cocked the slide uses little additional energy in reciprocation.