Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Changing hand guard to RIS and removing front sight.

So I have the M-4 carbine not the ops, now I want to remove the front hand guard and install a RIS and put a folding front sight back on. The reason for the folding sight is the "el cheapo" red dot sight I found at Wally World is completely obstructed by the front sight. There is no co-witness, it is completely blocked. I suppose I could find a riser for the red-dot. What do you all think?

I guess I probably should have gotten the ops in the first place. ;D

I had the same exact issue as you.  I ended up buying the RIS from Umarex and got rid of the front sight completely.  I also bought a quad rail to cover up the holes.

How difficult was it to remove the front sight? Did the pins tap out or did they need to be drilled out? That's a nice looking stick. :thumb:

Wasn't difficult at all to punch out the pins.  Just used a brass punch & hammer set. 

Thanks for the comments.  First time I took it to the local range, the rangemaster just about had a cow, asking for paperwork on the can.  He calmed down once I showed him it was a fake though.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

How much did it run you?  So all I need to do is contact Jody and they can make me a converter that will work?  Do you know if the can will fit down inside the RIS?  I have the M-16 RIS and it extends close to the end of the barrel.  So I am going to have the fake can go inside the RIS for a short barrel look.  Thanks for the help

post-153-1441243634_thumb.jpg

post-153-144124363407_thumb.jpg

Not sure if the can will fit inside the RIS.  Here's the link to the suppressor:  http://www.spikestactical.com/z/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=78_31&products_id=42

I had Jody make a custom end the same diameter as the m4 barrel w/ wrench flats for $44.  That way the suppressor fits over it, and screws in at the front of the suppressor, giving it the short barrel look.  If you need me to, I can measure the outside diameter of the can.

• 5 months later...

The diameter of the fake can is 1.25 inches.  I have almost an 1.5 inches.  It should fit fine as long as I have the proper thread adapter.  It should look nice once I get it installed.  I will post pics when I get it finished.

An more news on this? Sounds like it'll look great once it's finished.