Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

If you could have only one .22 ammo...

imschur

I would have to agree with Steel609 - Federal bulk is great ammo. I just tested a brand, new to me, BVAC - Bitteroot Valley Ammunition. Made in the USA, it worked flawlessly in my Colt M-4, shooting about 1.5" high to the zero for the Federal @ 50yds. Actually, slightly tighter groups. It is available from Cheaper-than-Dirt, $24.79 + shipping/brick. Has had a few bad reviews, but worked fine for me.

TM :)

• 9 months later...

Was a time I would have said CCI Stingers, but the shortage of Stinger ammo made me take a serious look at Aguila's version, 30gr. HP or solid at 1750fps.  How many people have ever pulled a Stinger bullet and weighed it only to find the 32gr LISTED weight is actually 30.5gr?

Anyway, bulk pack this and that are all great for piddling around, but Stingers and Aguila are both capable of better than combat grade groups and deliver substantial kinetic energy and velocity over standard high velocity loads.

I am well aware many foolishly proclaim .22LR ammo as grossly ineffective against humans, but having SEEN and treated (and body-bagged) more than my share of people hit by the ubiquitous .22LR I've BEEN a convert for a long time, but my experience has also shown me that impact speed has a lot to do with tissue destruction therefore--if stealth is not an issue I want the fastest bullet I can get.

Second on my list is the fabulous Aguila 60gr subsonic load.  Adding 20gr to the bullet makes up for the slower muzzle speed and helps it deliver decent killing power (read that as penetration).  The 60gr subsonic is also quite accurate.

• 3 weeks later...

I just picked up 500 rounds of Winchester High Speed "RN" 40 grain/1300 fps copper plated for use in my GSG.  It's what I'd call a mid-level load producing 150 lb-ft of kinetic energy which is about 30 lb-ft more than most bulk-pack ammo.

For survival use I don't think there is a single ammo one can use.  I have a supply of Aguila 60 grain subsonic which compensates for it's slower speed with greater mass thus resulting in a KE equal to "bulk pack" ammo.  Aguila SS is of course intended to be used with a suppressor and ejection port enclosure.

Next would be Aguila's extreme velocity ammo rated at 1750 fps with a 30 grain bullet.  Speed is what gets the job done with .22LR and the Aguila has it.  Stingers would be in the hunt--depends purely on what can be had at what price.  Right now www.midwayusa.com has plenty of Aguila on hand.

Before anyone thinks I'm putting down bulk pack....I'm not it's just my opinion that if one is laying in a supply of "serious" .22LR ammo it should be PLATED if at all possible.  I also prefer round nose profile ammo over truncated cone.  Plated ammo tends to feed more reliably...same reason we use jacket and/or plated bullets in autoloading centerfires.

With that said if and when I find a great deal on bulk pack ammo I buy it because when the chips are down having a near endless supply of .22 ammo beats being picky.

My 10/22 shoots ANYTHING

My GSG so far has shot EVERYTHING

My Ciener Platinum Cup has shot EVERYTHING ever fed to it.

I have a LOT of bulk pack ammo and I have no hesitation in loading it up.

For those with GSG's a point worth noting is the one major weakness of the design is in the magazine having that open slot down both sides.  For survival/field use loaded mags should be kept in a pouch or container that prevents entry of dirt and grit.  If you keep your .22 ammo clean it WILL feed and it WILL fire.

For those with GSG's a point worth noting is the one major weakness of the design is in the magazine having that open slot down both sides.  For survival/field use loaded mags should be kept in a pouch or container that prevents entry of dirt and grit.  If you keep your .22 ammo clean it WILL feed and it WILL fire.

i haven't used mine in the field yet, thanks for the heads up on that it would be a big problem