Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

New Arrival!!! 22.9oz

bdavison

Im so happy to announce the arrival of the newest member of the family at 22.9 oz, 7.2" long, and a healthy 14 lb trigger pull.

I got to take my Sig Sauer Mosquito (threaded version) home today. So far Im very impressed with it. Havent had a chance to feed it yet, but its only a matter of time before it gets hungry.

Im awaiting the arrival of the suppressor adapter so I can mount the gemtech to it, shouldnt be too long.

post-257-144124367505_thumb.jpg

post-257-144124367508_thumb.jpg

post-257-144124367512_thumb.jpg

Here's my review thus far.

There's so much to discuss on this pistol, that I dont know where to begin. After reading through the manual, I really wanted to find out exactly how all the pieces function. So I took it ENTIRELY apart. I mean, every screw, pin, spring....everything.

I do not recommend doing this unless you have armorer experience, because it is not easy to reassemble unless you have the tools.

In regards to construction, much of what I've read about the mosquito on the internet is just plain incorrect. Many people and sites list this as having a lower frame made entirely of polymer. It is not. It is a metal frame lower with a polymer shell.

The lower frame is entirely metal, and extends almost half way down into the magazine well. and runs almost the entire length of the slide. You wont be able to see this from outside of the pistol, so it may be what misleads many into thinking that the entire lower is polymer. Im not sure what kind of metal they made the frame and slide from, but it does not appear to be steel, I think its cast aluminum, but I cant tell.

This pistol is probably one of the safest .22 pistols Ive seen, and Ill tell you why. Its nearly impossible to fire it unless you mean to, because there are so many redundant safeties built into it.

1st off, it has a out-of-battery check on the slide. So if the slide is not in battery, it will not fire. Not only wont it let the hammer drop, but if the hammer did somehow manage to drop, it also disengages the firing pin from the striker.

It also has the slide mounted safety....which is pretty interesting, because its a rolling firing pin type block. Once engaged, you can strike the rear of the striker all you want, and it will not fire. Only when the safety is flipped to "off" will it allow the rear striker to hit the back of the firing pin. The gun will allow you to pull the trigger in both DA and SA modes, and it functions as normal (cocking and releasing) the hammer, but it will not fire in safe mode. So picture this....you can have one in the pipe, pull the trigger, watch the hammer fall, but it will not fire.

On top of that, it has the decocker, so you can drop the hammer on a hot pipe without bypassing any safeties (like manually lowering the hammer), and it will not fire either.

Then you also have the magazine safety, where the pistol will not fire without a magazine properly inserted.

The barrel is interesting. Its a outer metal shell with a steel barrel pinned into place. Ive seen posts online, labeling the barrel shroud as polymer. It is NOT. It is metal, appears to be milled aluminum stock.

The magazine is steel, and very well made. It has a load assist button, that will lock at the bottom. The bottom plate is polymer as well as the follower. It holds 10 rounds in a single stack configuration. The magazine catch is extremely positive, and you can feel it and manipulate it easily without hunting or having to shift your grip. When pressed, the magazine drops freely from the magazine well.

All the logo's are well stamped into both the slide, frame, barrel, and magazine.

The pistol also features matching serial numbers on the barrel, slide, and frame. Mine also has Sig's proof marks, indicating it was tested with smokeless powder rounds, passed the proof (overcharged rounds)testing, and was constructed in 2010.

The pistol came with two recoil springs, one short, and one long for adjusting it for either HV rounds or the standard load rounds.

This pistol is TIGHT...its will take considerable rounds before it will loosen up. I can tell you, that if you get one, before you shoot it, you really need to take it apart, and scrub it down good with some cleaner. From the factory it has a bunch of goop in the firing pin/striker block inside the slide.

The sights are adjustable for windage, and if you use one of the included front sights, you can adjust the elevation also.

They have little dots inset into the sights, which dont glow in the dark, but are really visible in daylight.

I must say that the grip on this pistol is probably the best fitting grip Ive ever seen. It just feels perfect in my hand.

Accuracy testing coming soon.

• 2 months later...