Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Firearm Trends - Whats in the future? is wood dead?

imschur

Sorry for the repost for you folks that visit my 308 site.

Im seeing Shotguns with AR style stocks and forearms, Bolt action rifles becoming more modular. "Tactical Rifles" used for hunting.

I see young shooters cringe at walnut grips on a 1911

Is this a fad or the future?

What do you expect we will see within this decade?

Any new concepts?

With the high cost of quality wood blanks, the substantial added cost of shaping wooden stocks and their sensitivity to weather and wear I'd say fine wooden stocks are going to pass away along with us old timers. Quality plastic stocks are superior in cost, longevity and function almost across the board and are definitely the future of firearms.

Wood will eventually become the sole domain of custom firearms. IMO.

I like wood but firearm makers can't compete while putting good wood and workmanship in to wooden stocks. I agree with MG I think wood is going to only be found on custom jobs.

Plus few of the younger generations have been exposed to any kind of woodworking, most schools closed their shops years ago for liability reason.

I would love to try making my own stocks, but the blanks big enough for stocks are expensive, or if you want to go the laminate route the gear is expensive.

Exotic woods here in NM require constant attention to prevent them from drying out to much then cracking or splitting.

I think we will probably see less and less of wood stocks. The problem right now is getting fine grades of stock blanks without paying a fortune for them. Whereas a manufacturer in the past could offer a rifle with a fine black burled walnut stock..they just cant do it and keep the cost down. Also the generation with the skills to properly fit, and hand checker a wood stock is dwindling quickly, and unfortunatly the skills havent been passed down.

I think the days of the $1000 1911's is rapidly coming to a close too. I predict that manufacturers are going to start looking for cost-cutting to stay viable and make a profit. I think a majority of what we are going to see is steel changing to a higher carbon content to make it cheaper to manufacture...hang on the the gun oil...you're gonna need it.  Over the next year or so, expect to see a plethora of sub $600 pistols flood the market.

Unfortunatly the polymer is here to stay, because its cheap.

As for the future...in ten years expect to see ductile ceramics start to appear as coatings on slides and external parts.

I believe that entry level guns will be made with the most inexpensive materials that can meet safety standards and performance standards  Where plastic and cheaper metals can be used so that their use will not affect performance, they will.

However, there will always be a market for well made guns with wood stocks or grips. Just like we will pay more for leather trim in our cars, we will pay more for that "special" weapon or one used for defense.

I believe that the M-16 type straight stock will find its way into shotguns because the deminished barrel rise will help the shooter get back on target faster for the second shot. Just like extended forcing cones in shotguns are normal now and barrel porting is now common, straight stocks should be fairly normal in the future.

Finally, the price of centerfire ammo is too high for recreational shooting. I think the move to .22 rimfire guns that mimic the size and feel Centerfire calibers will accelerate.

I think there's a lot of dynamics at play. I too think wood will always be around, certain folks will demand it. It's going to be like vinyl records and film. Pricey and for the purists. I also think the real low end rifles (Marlin .22's) may be cheaper to manufacture using wood.

To me Remington making AR hunting rifles is a HUGE sign of the direction we are going and a smart move on their part. I think we will see more modular rifles. More bolt actions mated with AR lowers. I also think we will see some of the military rifle stuff trickle down to civilian weapons. Guys want rifles like the Remington MSR and Accuracy International. Someone will find a way to make less complex $2500 versions of those rifles.

Modular hardware will grow in popularity, leaps and bounds. Give the people what they want

I too agree quality all steel 1911's are going to cost you $$$. These polymer guns are a blessing and a curse. Handguns like Glocks, Springfield XD's and Smith M&P's are inexpensive and very good considering what they cost.

I think traditional revolvers will struggle despite an attempt to make them "Tactical". Perhaps they will look to the past and adopt a modular approach as well.

Regarding the tactical .22's - I believe traditional AR manufacturers Colt,Armalite) will find a way to make competitively  affordable .22's based on actual milspec lowers rendering the like's of Umarex unnecessary. CMMG is close now. I also think import restrictions could force some of these rifles to be produced stateside.

One more note on wood. I was at a site of a wood grip manufacturer last night. They are discontinuing ALL Smith & Wesson revolver grips.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

tactical 22's have breathed life into the little rim fire scheme. The .17 had a great run, but like the 9mm replacing the .45 most have returned to the tried and true 22. Add to that the wide range of 22 ammo, from sub-sonic to the sky and you can find just about anything to function in a particular rifle. Marlin's 795 and the new Savage are opening doors to younger shooters and offer a good low investment. Wood will still has its place hand mid-to high end rifles will continue to be offered with beautiful coach work.

Tactical 22's still must be reliable and digest basic bulk ammo without fussing, something some of the manufactures need to work on. GSG seems to have a solid platform for releasing new unique 22's.

Texas Tiger