Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Winchester 333 or 555 ammo

rodent.22

Last Sunday I took a couple of guns over to a new shooting friend's house. My Colt/Umarex OPS, my rolling block .22 pistol and my 94 Winchester. I had a new box of Winchester .22's, I said I'll take these. Well I loaded up the Colt and no action. Either no fire or no extraction. They would hardly chamber in the rolling block also. We reloaded the Colt with CCI and it was butt kickin' time, no issues. This is a new result for me with Winchester, it always did good before. I have a thousand rounds of this stuff on hand. Luckily I have about 6000 rounds of Federal also, so I won't suffer too much.... >:D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have had nothing but great luck with the Winchester 555 ammo. My SIG 522 functions the best with them. Federal was dismall at best in most of my .22s . They have alot of fail to fire issues. CCI will probably be the best as far as always working. Each gun has its own ammo that works the best for it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I've had nothing but bad results with Winchester in general in my GSG. with 555 packs, some rounds dont even fit in the chamber, some dont fire, or get jammed. today i bought Winchester super x super speed thinking the extra FPS would help, i was wrong! again i got rounds that didnt fit, several light strikes and jams. i also bought some stingers, no light strikes, all the rounds fit(100) and 2 jams but i think they were mag related. so no more winchesters for me :-)

Update on Winchester 555, i took my mags apart and sanded them and went and shot some more rounds from the 555 pack. i had significantly less problems this time! using the factory 22 rnd mag i only had 6 FTF(fire) out of 7 mags compared to 6 per mag(i still dont like winchester). using the Pro mag i got alot of FTF's (5-6 per mag) which is still better than before, i think i still need to sand a little more as it was still a little sticky in spots and i could still see some high spots after i sanded. next time out i'm going to see what happens after sanding some more and i'm going to buy some Federal and see how that does.

I will update when i find out more.

1.strip the mags completely down

2. feel along the channels where the follower slides up and down and you will prob feel high spots in the channel

3. i started with 150 grit sand paper, then 400 wet, then finished with 2000 and sand the curvature of the channel until ALL the high spots have gone.

4.Also sand the long slots which run up the center of the 2half's of the mag(where the thumb grips runs)

5.Also sand the follower you should be able to hold the two half's of the mag together and the follower should just fall out with no resistance.

6. Assemble the mag and put the follower in, now put the 2 little follower grips in with Allen bolts but don't tighten them too much as this can cause friction.Next check it slides up and down freely.

7. Resemble the rest of the mag.

I made a bad choice the other day in wallyworld, they had no federal bulk boxes so I brought some winchester 555 what a waste of money, i had a bunch of ftf and fte also the 555 wouldnt get the bolt back far enough for the auto bolt lock on last round had 200 federal with me from my last box worked perfectly as did cci mini mags to get the bolt to lock back on my last round I put a cci mini mag in there my opinion they are a waste of money

• 8 years later...