Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

n00b from Amarillo, TX

Sir_Macalot

Hey guys, first post from me.  I'm totally new to guns.  I bought my first handgun 9 years ago when I honestly feared for my life.  It was a 9mm Beretta 92fs.  I still haven't ever fired it. 

The reason I joined this forum is because I honestly need some advice when it comes to selecting a .22 rifle.  I have no idea what I'm doing.  Can you guys recommend a thread or is this one okay?

Thanks, and I'm excited to be here!

Welcome Sir M.

What do you plan to use this rifle for?

well, i want to become proficient with a rifle and wanted something that didn't kick too hard.  I'm also taking a page out of Max Brook's book "The Zombie Survival Guide". He recommended a .22 for it's lightweight, cheap and readily available ammo, and it's quieter. 

I've heard I'm supposed to make sure it's "centerfire"? Does the gun determine that or is that more about ammo?  What is the most reliable .22 semi-auto, tactical rifle out there in your opinion?

I've heard I'm supposed to make sure it's "centerfire"? Does the gun determine that or is that more about ammo?  What is the most reliable .22 semi-auto' date=' tactical rifle out there in your opinion?      [/quote']

The 22lr cartridge is a rimfire and many "tactical rifles" are chambered for it. The centerfire 22s commonly used in AR-15s and such are .223 Rem / 5.56x45mm.

Huge difference.

I've owned a bunch of tactical 22s and my favorite so far is the CMMG that imschur turned me onto. Competitively priced and superior in quality to most.

I'm partial to reflex sights on tactical style rifles for their fast pointing capabilities.

Welcome fellow Texan!

There are many great tactical rimfires out there, each and every one will come with personal opinions.  So, here's mine.  :)

In the "tactical" realm, I highly recommend you look at the SigSauer 522.

If you can stand to start off with a more "standard" style rifle, the 10/22 is probably the most configurable and customizable rifle out there.  It is also one hell of a decent shooter right out of the box.  Don't discount it just because it's not loaded with black plastic and pic rails all over it.  :)

Happy research / shopping !!

Welcome to the group and ditto to what my fellow posters have answered....

The big difference....

Go to Wal Mart and price ammo....

200 rounds of 223 center fire is about $100.00

550 rounds of 22lr rim fire is about $15.00

I love shooting the 223, but the 22 rim fire is cheap enough that you can fire round after round, sharpening your skills for very little money, and from the sound of your post that's what you're after...

BTW...

I love my 92 FS as well...You need to take it out and shoot it...

Regarding the 15-22, also a quality rifle and a great shooter.  I have one, shoot it quite a lot.  Only issue I've ever had is with Remington golden bullets, which isn't with the rifle but the ammo.  Only my GSG-5 feeds that stuff reliably.

You don't need no 10/22 starter kit.

Jump right in up to your ears and start having all the fun now with the baddest assed Tactical 22 you can afford!

And remember, there's no substitute for quality.

so in your opinion, what is the "baddest assed tactical 22"?  Going to shoot the S&W M&P 15-22 this weekend.  I'll post pics Monday.

so in your opinion, what is the "baddest assed tactical 22"?  Going to shoot the S&W M&P 15-22 this weekend.  I'll post pics Monday.

I dunno.

That's why I keep buying them.

But to date my favorite is my CMMG Sierra upper installed on my S&W M&P lower into which I've installed a Timney trigger.

Not my favorite rimfire but certainly my favorite "tactical 22".