Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

New 10/22 Upgrade options

Hey everyone I am thinking about getting a 10/22 and wanted to get your opinions on what kind of upgrade kit or if I should leave it stock.  I have looked at the Archangel and the nordic components upgrades.  I know one is plastic and one is aluminum.  Will either of these hold zero after disassembly?  Can you use any free floating handguard on the nordic system.  Any and all comments welcome, if I do it I want it to be right.  Thanks

• 8 months later...

I'll tell you about a couple of "neat upgrades" you might not have thought about.

The first is to fit your 10/22 into an M1 Carbine stock...looks WAY cooler than stock and functions the same.  Combine that with aftermarket reap aperture sights and you have a very interesting yet fully functional rifle.

http://www.eabco.com/m1_carbine_ruger_1022_tribute.htm

The second is to consider fitting the entire 10/22 action into an Airsoft based P90 stock, or even a Steyr AUG version.  The 10/22's modular design lends itself to being lifted from "stock" and carried over to any "tactical" design one might want that the "gun unit" will fit inside.  Check out YouTube for videos of 10/22's fitted into Airsoft stock housings.

A year ago I bought a $34 Airsoft P90 stock, ripped out the guts, added ABS internal reinforcement plus a billet aluminum "upper" to house the 10/22 and created an amazing little bullpup that is not only a blast to shoot, but has "tactical" written all over it.

Having done that I have concluded that while the 10/22 CAN work for a bullpup design it works BEST in a conventional stock layout where the magazine is ahead of the trigger unit, and the M1 Carbine is an ideal "profile" to choose.

• 8 months later...

Hey guys,

Sorry to bump an older thread, but I noticed in the parts list above, there was a part I did not see. I see the g36 kits around, and love the magazine style. I kind of hate the skinny stock banana clip.  Are these for sale anywhere around, and this is a long shot, but what are the chances of a wide clip working with a Archangel AR stock?

Thanks in advance!

• 4 months later...

Hey everyone I am thinking about getting a 10/22 and wanted to get your opinions on what kind of upgrade kit or if I should leave it stock.  I have looked at the Archangel and the nordic components upgrades.  I know one is plastic and one is aluminum.  Will either of these hold zero after disassembly?  Can you use any free floating handguard on the nordic system.  Any and all comments welcome, if I do it I want it to be right.  Thanks

I actually have one of each, Archangel and Nordic. Each one is set up for a different purpose and use. Yes the main difference is one is Polymer and one Aluminum. Yes you can use any grip, buttstock and free float tube on the Nordic but not so with the Archangel.

On my Archangel Kit I replaced the Archangel Buttstock with a MagPul CTR Buttstock. It was a simple matter of removing the old and installing the new. I measured the buffer tube on the Archangel and learned that I needed to order a Commercial Diameter MagPul CTR and it fit perfectly. Took a total of about a minute to change one for the other.

I also modified my Archangel Free Float Tube in that I had the rails milled off. I then reduced the outside diameter of the Archangel Free Float Tube until I could slip a DPMS Carbon Fiber Free Float Tube over the outside of the Archangel Free Float Tube. I then drilled and tapped 3 holes and secured the two together with 3 10X32 TPI Screws.

I have a lightweight Factory Barrel on my Archangel which I had shortened to 17". I then added a Green Mountain Aero Barrel Shroud over the shortened factory barrel to give it the bull barre look without the weight. My Archangel with a Weaver 3x9x32mm AO Rimfire Classic weighs in a 6.88 Lbs.

On the other hand on my Nordic I have a Rifle Length Aluminum Free Float Tube, A2 Buttstock and a 20" KIDD Bull Barrel. With a Weaver 6.5x20x44mm AO Series 40/44 Riflescope and a Harris Bipod it tips the scales at a bit over 11 pounds. 

Each 10/22 is set up for a different type of shooting and each 10/22 fills it's need quite well.

Larry