Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

Muzzle Brakes and ect for .22?

Mr. Jones

I was reading TM's thread about his Mas49-56 (a beautiful rifle, btw), and started thinking about muzzle brakes and compensators, etc.

First, does it really make that much difference, is their enough gas pressure in a .22 to matter?

I've never fired a .22 that had enough recoil or climb to make me think it needed compensation, but I am still fairly new to this concept, so I dunno.

My 522 came with an A2 flash hider that appears to be purely cosmetic, as the amount of kick and climb is about the same as it is on all my .22s

Guess it depends on what I am doing with the rifle; I just use it for plinking and varmint disposal, so maybe not so useful for me.  I imagine for competition level shooting, every thing counts for something.

I have not added a brake to anything except the MAS. And that one works G8. I do know that my Colt/Umarex M4 does have some jump when fired from the bench with a bi-pod. It would be nice to "watch the hit" and stay on target. I have just ordered one of the "compensators" from Colt that ellie_18 has on his M4. I will have to think about doing a "magneport" job on it......

TM

I can say this much, my 3 bolt action .22s don't kick at all, like shooting BB guns.

but the 522 almost bounces on her bypod and I do feel her a tiny bit in my shoulder.  I suppose the blowback action coupled with a heavier bolt group than I am accustomed to.  Not to mention she outweighs a bolt action by 4 pounds  :o

Still, i just don't see a brake adding any/much benefit;  just not enough "oomph" in the round to make it function as intended.

I was initially just thinking about the cosmetic value, but thought it wouldn't hurt to ask and learn.  I have my eye on a few models similar to the one that Smurf is looking at for his 10/22; I really like the streamlined style over the common A2.

While we're talking about it, what about sound?  Will any specific style of these devices muffle sound(for a .22 of course)?  I don't mean like suppressor grade sound reduction, just any muffling at all?

but the 522 almost bounces on her bipod and I do feel her a tiny bit in my shoulder.  I suppose the blowback action coupled with a heavier bolt group than I am accustomed to.  Not to mention she outweighs a bolt action by 4 pounds  :o

Still, i just don't see a brake adding any/much benefit;  just not enough "oomph" in the round to make it function as intended.

my AK has a firm kick i think your right Mr Jones as i use to fire MK 8 lee enfield .22s and they didn't kick at all. muzzle brakes and flash suppressors are just cosmetic on .22's

I have been reading some articles on the web, and there is not a lot concerning muzzle brakes and .22lr. Of the ones I read, most were concerned with the tacti-cool factor.

There were a few, mostly for Ruger 10-22s, that the authors gave serious effort to quantify the effectiveness of an actual designed-for-.22lr brake. Of course, the placement of the first shot is reliant upon you, your rifle and ammo. It is the subsequent shots that that brake can affect. The results of the authors can be summarized mainly by the following - when using a scope, with a functional brake, you can actually watch your first shot hit the target. The little bump from a .22 is greatly reduced or eliminated. This of course allows for faster and more accurate follow-up shots.

Most of the .22 brakes on the market are supplied for the "tacti-cool" market, and are not very effective. http://www.eabco.com/cssmb.html makes the best brakes IMO. I will be contacting them to see if they will make a brake to fit the 1/2"-28 threads of the AR barrel. That would allow use on the Colt/Umarex with the thread adapter device. I will also ask about just using the existing Colt threads.

I am also going to try to make one myself, as the required design factors appear to be fairly easy to

reproduce.

1. An 11 degree crown inside the brake.

2. An expanded chamber inside the brake.

3. A number of small holes accurately drilled in the brake, aimed 22 degrees back towards the shooter.

I will report back with whatever I discover.

TM

Ive wondered if the little bit of extra weight at the end of the barrel helps some folks settle down a little quicker

I did not consider that- I mentioned that my 522 doesn't even have the "bump" of recoil normally felt in a .22

Maybe the added weight of bipod, grip, and flashlight is weighting down the barrel, allowing for less movement.  I mean, when I shoot from the bench (bipod) the rifle feels like it is a mounted installation.  Conversely, though, it's very heavy to hold in the offhand position. 

And thanks to TM for the informative post, has me thinking about trying some of my own designs as well.  If I can just find a motor for my "older than Jesus" drill/mill/lathe.

When I shot .22 competitively in my youth the target rifles were very muzzle heavy and difficult to shoot  well in a standing position until the correct muscles developed. You could always tell a newbie by the sweating and shaking trying to hold the rifle. A proper sling used correctly was very important

The rifles were provided by the local fish & game club. I recall their were three different rifles. The Savages were the preferred rifle. I dont recall the model numbers or even if I ever looked. I dont recall the other brands. It's funny how none of that mattered at the time.

My best friends dad ran the thing for our club, he held the rifles so there were three of us that picked the best rifles for ourselves:)  I still recall my first perfect score.

A lot of funny stories from those days. Ill share two. When we had our weekly practice there were often youngsters in training. The instructors would have incredible patience with these kids. Imagining try to get 10 year old's to use peep sites. Any how when everyones patience was near the end on of us three would shoot next to the kids and put one in the black for them.Instructor was just as thrilled as the kids.

At the other end of the range the evil took place. The targets were held in place with clips covered with angle iron. If you saw someone was shooting well a perfectly placed shot at the center of the angle would remove the target from the clip  :grin:

At the other end of the range the evil took place. The targets were held in place with clips covered with angle iron. If you saw someone was shooting well a perfectly placed shot at the center of the angle would remove the target from the clip  :grin:

;D 

During one of our first trips to the range, my girlfriend (now wife) was doing very well; but she started to get a big head.  I was taking it easy, and not really shooting seriously, and she kinda poked me in the ribs about my loose groups.  So after asking her to let me try her rifle for a minute, I proceeded to shoot the six staples holding her target up.  After I handed back the rifle, she was thinking I just missed the target altogether- until the wind finished my job and removed the target from the board.

I told her it was one thing to drive a nail with a rifle, but let me see you pull staples with it!

I have found a guy in Arkansas that makes custom brakes (IN the USA) for a very reasonable price. Some of his brakes sell for less than $20. I have contacted him, and he will make a brake to fit any gun. I am going to send him my Colt's original compensator and order a brake that will thread right on the Colt so I do not have to use the thread adapter. Find his work HERE.

TM

I have found a guy in Arkansas that makes custom brakes (IN the USA) for a very reasonable price. Some of his brakes sell for less than $20. I have contacted him, and he will make a brake to fit any gun. I am going to send him my Colt's original compensator and order a brake that will thread right on the Colt so I do not have to use the thread adapter. Find his work HERE.

TM

Now that is a hell of a find!  Looks like some decent work in the pics, but their site is not too extensive.  In any event, if they can cheaply recreate designs from CAD or other 3d renderings, I am all over that. 

OK - The Colt's comp is on it's way to Arkansas tomorrow. I have re-looked at the thread adapter for the Colt, and the extended AR flash hider I tried a while back. When these items were on my Colt, accuracy suffered. The thread adapter has no crown, and when installed, this is the muzzle of the Colt. So, I endeavoured to cut a 11 degree crown on the adapter, and make a brake out of the extended flash hider. After I got done, went to the range and noticed a definite reduction in the muzzle twitch.  I will look forward to trying the home made brake on my AR. I am thinking that the large inside diameter of the brake/hider limits it's effectiveness on a .22. Anyway, it was fun to make metal shavings!

TM

post-10-144124365199_thumb.jpg

post-10-144124365202_thumb.jpg

post-10-144124365204_thumb.jpg

post-10-144124365206_thumb.jpg

post-10-14412436521_thumb.jpg

Now that is a hell of a find!  Looks like some decent work in the pics, but their site is not too extensive.  In any event, if they can cheaply recreate designs from CAD or other 3d renderings, I am all over that.

It is a new business, he just went public last January, has made over 700 brakes since then. I have ordered a brake for my Sweetie"s Charger, ($39), and the prototype for the Colt/Umarex. Should be ready to ship early next week. Made in the USA!

TM

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The reason the bolt action doesnt kick as much as the 522 is because of the bolt....the 522's bolt is slamming rearward...so yeah, it will kick a bit more.

.22 is complete opposite of a centerfire as far as recoil is involved. Centerfire, most of the recoil is produced by the round itself, .22 most of the recoil is from the bolt slamming back (if a semi-auto)

Spring pellet rifles are the worse, because they have both a forward and a backward recoil which has a tendancy to reak havoc with shots, and utterly destroy even the most robust centerfire scopes. Thats why most of the competition pellet rifle shooters have switched to air tank based shooting.

I personally wonder if replacing the metal block at the end of the buffer spring with a nylon one would dampen recoil. Ill test it with mine, and let you know.

I know they make nylon replacement rods for the 10/22 that perform this function, so it would serve to say it would work for the 522 also.