Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

What is "cheap Walmart ammo"

Michigan Joe

Federal 525 isn't bad ammo, you may have a few failure to fires, but if you get to many from one box contact federal they will usually make it more than right. Because it is sold at Wal-Mart doesn't mean it is cheaper. Every store that sells ammo in my area carries Federal 525 or the Auto Match 325, I buy both but also buy CCI Mini-Mags (also sold at Wal-Mart) for the competitions I shoot in. I plink and practice all the time with Federal .22.

The local walmarts round here only sell Federal bulk in 550 boxes or that what i always end up with but i don't have that many failure to fire but i do have  1 or 2 failure to feed and i to do buy CCI minimags now i run both through the same day cci is alot more accurate. All the targets were at 50 yards and shot through my GSG AK47.

post-121-144124369064_thumb.jpg

post-121-144124369067_thumb.jpg

post-121-144124369069_thumb.jpg

post-121-144124369072_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

The WalMarts here raised the Federal at least $4.50 a box....haven't gone back down, either.

Just (yesterday) bought a couple boxes of Fed 22 in the 550 round box at about $15 per at my local WM. I have only been shooting 22s recently so don't know what the price was but this seems like a good price.

• 1 month later...

Ok, I'm new at this buying a lot of ammo, so this is a serous question.  I always read about "cheap Walmart ammo." Are they referring to Federal bulk boxed (525 rounds), or something else?  Thanks.

In Albuquerque, Walmart sells Federal Lightning (501-B) in Red/Silver boxes of 50 rounds for $1.47 each. Its a 40 grain, solid nose lead bullet. Comes to $14.70 for 500 rounds. I have many 22 LR pistols, revolvers, rifles and semi-autos and have had very few problems with failure-to-fire, failure-to-feed, or failure-to-eject. It's a great deal.