Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

What do you have on order?

imschur

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No cool toys coming here, though I do have a TRS-25 with the AR riser on the way, and the Bushnell 1-4x24 AR/223 scope  on order.    One of those will likely end up on my recently acquired Nordic kit.  The wife got me a TS stock for my old and ugly HiPoint 995 carbine this Christmas.  Guess what I was working on Christmas morning?  Those carbines are a blast and a half.

No cool toys coming here, though I do have a TRS-25 with the AR riser on the way, and the Bushnell 1-4x24 AR/223 scope  on order.    One of those will likely end up on my recently acquired Nordic kit.  The wife got me a TS stock for my old and ugly HiPoint 995 carbine this Christmas.  Guess what I was working on Christmas morning?  Those carbines are a blast and a half.

I agree on the Hi Point carbines I have both the 9mm and .45acp. Other than being a pain to clean I have lots of fun with them.

• 2 weeks later...

January 10,  2015;  10 AM:

This morning I found an ad for Sportsman's Guide offering wood ammo boxes.  Said limited quantities.  I ordered 5.  These are apparently American made,  never issued.  Approximate interior dimensions 13" x 14" x17" tall.  About $20 each.

Several years back I bought some Russian ammo boxes from Sportsman's Guide that were/are great.  There is a post in this forum somewhere with pics of the Russian 7.62x54R ammo boxes as I varnished them with Walnut stain and Spar Varnish inside and out.  One of my Russian ammo boxes was badly damaged; not apparent until the lid was opened and half the box fell apart.  I used Gorilla Glue according to directions (wet one wood surface,  put a small amount [thin bead] of glue on the other surface;  clamp together for several days.  I weighted the box down with the rest of the boxes to hold everything as tight together as possible.  The fix worked perfectly and with the stain and varnish and a long time since I am not sure I can tell which box it was.  That old wood soaked up a lot of stain and a lot of first-coat Spar Varnish,  very little second-coat varnish.  The boxes are quite pretty for what little effort I put into the finishing.  I kept the original markings/stencils visible through the varnish and minimally sanded the first coat.  Those old boxes are now full of my ammo and shooting supplies.  Perfect for that use.

Notes on these new ammo boxes I ordered from comments/reviews:  There is only one hinge.  Best to remove it and replace with two hinges if you are going to be opening & closing very often.  Latch will not secure lid very well.  Replace that, too.

• 3 weeks later...

Just for fun Smurf, I will have to shoot it at least once. Although I see that these things are priced pretty high on Gun Broker. Story that came with the gun is that it was purchased in 68, one mag (7 rounds) was fired, it was cleaned & placed in a safe. It came with a box of ammo missing 7 rounds, but the box does not appear to be 47 years old.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just got the slide back, great work! They drilled out the front sight for the tritium vial, and made a new custom rear sight. Now I have 8 months to wait for the paddle holster I ordered. Also have a DeSantis scabbard on order that should ship in 20 days.

I just picked up a Windham .308 AR Hunter with the Nutmeg Laminated wood stock that I fell in love with last Tuesday and brought it home on Thursday.  On Friday I figured I'd better get me some 25 round PMag magazines since my Armalite AR-10T magazines won't fit it.  I will never understand why all those other companies didn't use the same magazines as the original real AR-10s used. 

post-2143-144124394953_thumb.jpg

• 5 weeks later...