Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

ATF says ATI's Fake Suppressor is Regulated by NFA

imschur

link

If you purchased a GSG 5 SD model with a barrel shroud (Fake Suppressor) ATF has now determined that this is regulated by the NFA and must be replaced.

To all retail customers:

On January 2010 American Tactical Imports Inc received official notification from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and explosives that the original barrel shroud (aka: fake suppressor) supplied with your GSG 5 SD model must be replaced. It has been determined that this shroud is regulated under the National Firearms Act. American Tactical will provide a replacement shroud at no charge for each GSG 5 SD model sold or currently in inventory.

Consumers in possession of a GSG 5 SD model with the original shroud in place on the firearm are now in violation of the NFA. To avoid continued violation of the NFA, ATI asks that all persons in possession obtain a replacement shroud as soon as possible. We anticipate arrival of the new shrouds to begin by the middle of February 2010.

IMPORTANT: THE ORIGINAL SD MODEL SHROUD MUST BE RETURNED ACCOMPANIED BY THE FIREARM SERIAL NUMBER BEFORE A REPLACEMENT SHROUD IS ISSUED. THE DIAMETER OF THE SD SHROUD IS 1-9/16". DO NOT RETURN THE SMALLER CARBINE SHROUD.

WHAT TO DO:

If possible return your old shroud to the dealer where purchased and show him this notice. The shroud will be returned to ATI along with a list of serial numbers from the guns that the shrouds were removed. ATI will send replacements to the dealer for pick up at your convenience; ATI will be sending replacements as fast as logistics allow. If your dealer is out of business or difficult to reach, or you purchased your gun used, from a consumer, return the shroud directly by US mail or UPS to American Tactical Imports Inc. 100 Airpark Drive Rochester, NY 14624.

PLEASE TRY NOT TO CALL US. We will provide comprehensive information on our web site www.americantactical.us or by e-mail to atiexchange@americantactical.us

REMEMBER, INCLUDE THE FIREARM SERIAL NUMBER WITH EACH SHROUD OR A REPLACEMENT WILL NOT BE ISSUED.

This action IS NOT being instituted through any fault and is strictly due to NFA compliance. American Tactical will assume the responsibility to satisfy the requirements in an effort to minimize the impact on our customers and protect your investment.

We at American Tactical Imports Inc. sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused by this unfortunate situation.

Sincerely,

Anthony DiChario

President C.E.O

I read elsewhere that the "fake" supressor can is hollow inside and that is why the BATFE threw a shoe.  The new one apparently is not altogether hollow.

This info is correct. The original "faux" suppressor is completely hollow from front to back, so the BATFE must think it could be altered into a "real" suppressor. I have heard from a few sources that the replacement "faux" suppressor will have an internal sleeve that covers the entire exposed barrel; it WILL be heavier than the original but I haven't heard how much more?

Regardless, this fiasco could cost you the weapon; seize & destruction order from the Black Hats. I have personally seen this happen with a friend's Stryker 12ga. that did not get registered as a "Destructive Device", as he was never notified and knew nothing about the situation until AFTER the grace period was up. He WAS the original owner and bought the weapon new but the dealer he purchased it from had a run-in with the ATF on another matter and was summarily drawn and quartered by the "man", hence no notification. That weapon was surrendered to ATF for "destruction" and no amount of appeal was going to stop them from doing just that.

My advice to anyone that owns the SD is turn it in and call it a day ... there aren't enough of the rifles out there for them to NOT pursue prosecution and seizure after the grace period is up. The anti-gun administration needs to see results and this is just the type of crap they are looking for so they can pat themselves on the back at the end of the day and feel good about their "mission". I wouldn't give them the satisfaction!  >:(

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow ... I am VERY impressed with ATI's performance through the SD fiasco! I shipped my barrel shrouds on March 19th, they received them on March 26th and I got them back today; April 7th! Pretty damn good turn-around in my eyes.  :thumb:

The barrel shrouds look virtually identical to the ones I shipped off to NY ... they aren't much heavier either. I'll get an actual weight tomorrow at work but I'm guessing they only gained an ounce or 2?

• 1 month later...

The original barrel shroud was open on the inside.  If one so desired, chopping the barrel or drilling ports in it would allow gas to vent into this large internal chamber--clearly a VERY easy way to make a suppressor without even having to order a part.  I have also seen early GSG-5 carbine shrouds that are also open inside and am surprised this recal didn't happen years ago.

My GSG-522 carbine came with a fake can that has a sleeve inside to eliminate a single large chamber surrounding the barrel, yet apparently the SD model with an even larger internal volume was not so modified before importation.  The modification will surely be to add an internal sleeve that closely surrounds the barrel and reduces the benefit of drilling the barrel to create a suppressor.

Of course we all know anyone who wants can easily fabricate a very nice suppressor but the BATFE's position is more along the lines of not wanting the gun to be so easily converted straight out of the box.

Wasn't so many years ago one could not even buy a weapon with a threaded barrel let alone a "faux suppressor."  While I am totally opposed to any form of gun control or legislation, I do understand the mind of the BATFE.  IF the consumer is able to buy a gun with a suppressor that is totally open inside, then that person need to nothing more than drill a few holes to have a working suppressor.  I am sure BATFE knows many people out here know how to build a suppressor, but that doesn't mean they want to make it an automatic, out-of-the-box option.

• 8 months later...

I got word the GSG5SD barrel shroud just had to have the inner sleeve. The older ones apparently were open on the inside - one could have just stuffed it with rubber baffles and drilled a hole for the barrel to slide through. Of course, the barrel would be 'ported' to vent the gases.

I guess with the inner sleeve, the user would have to figure out how to drill holes inside to perforate the sleeve, as well as insert baffles into it. Just makes it harder.

I own a GSG5SD 'inspected by GSG germany" Aug 7th, 2009 - it has the newer SD barrel shroud with the liner.

DNR

• 2 years later...