Rimfire World Community
Visit Brownells Visit AR15 Builder Visit Visit Site Visit Ballistic Advantage Visit Aero Precision Visit Cabelas

What do you have on order?

imschur

Ordered some reloading supplies and small tools.  Redding small base die and Lee Factory Crimp die,  bullets,  tools for dealing with military primer-pocket crimp;  all this related to my DPMS 5.56.

One of the other forums who has a presence on Twitter had a Tweet yesterday.  A guy was asking about gunshow bulk ammo offerings packaged in Ziplocks.  Wanted to know if these were reloads.  He put these cartridges (he called them "bullets" ---  slang of a person with little knowledge or understanding of firearms) in his AR and they mostly all jammed.  One came apart and dumped powder in the action,  chamber,  BCG,  magazine---  and left the actual bullet,  the projectile, in the chamber.

Clearly,  the cartridges were reloads by a person who did not know what he was doing.  May have been reloading for decades,  but still did not do anything properly.

Loose bullets are absolutely unacceptable in any commercial offering.  The bullets must be properly crimped into the case.  The case must be properly sized to the precise specifications.  That most of the cartridges jammed screams that they were not properly re-sized:  probably never saw a sizing die.  That even one bullet pulled out of a case says there may not even have been a neck-sizing die used.  The bullets fit finger-tight into the cases and that was all.  I am skipping the part about what powder might have been used and how much of it?

Reloads like this must be full-length resized and often need be resized with a small-base die.  Maybe if the reloads are going to be sold to unknown 3RD parties they should be resized in standard dies and resized again in a small-base die?  Then the powder charge must be precise.  For use by unknown users,  very conservative amounts of powder.  Read:  published data minimum amounts of powder.  Many who reload think the bullet should be barely finger-tight in the cartridge case.  If it works for you for personal use,  fine.  The right way is a proper crimp.  Pistol bullets with a crimp groove are designed and intended for full crimps that use the groove.  Grooves vary and so do crimps;  the proper ones should be used.    Proper burning of the powder depends on this crimp and the resistance in the initial firing sequence.  Rifle bullets use or do not use grooves,  but still need crimping for control of the initial burn.  Beyond that,  a crimp keeps bullets in place relative to the cartridge case in many kinds of firearms during recoil from firing other cartridges in that firearm.

In a semi-auto firearm the crimp and full resizing are essential.  Crimp grooves and cannelures are easy markers for crimping.  Smooth bullets need crimping too.  The person doing the reloading needs verify that the bullet is seated to the proper depth and that the crimp is appropriate for the specific bullet and cartridge. 

Reloading actually does brush against Rocket Science.  If in any doubt,  do not reload.  Do not buy ammo from any source where there might be any question.  High-quality known-brand factory ammo is too easy to obtain and often at excellent prices.

Please pardon the rant.

I placed the order (above,  at the top) on Monday night.  Better to say Tuesday morning.  I woke up at 3 AM  :laugh: and cranked up the computer.  Called up MidwayUSA and the order I had on hold in the 'basket' and sent it.  Delivery by UPS Ground;  this is Thursday and Tracking says the order will be delivered this afternoon.  This kind of order handling seems to be the norm at both MidwayUSA and Brownells.  I hope you are experiencing the same kind of superlative service!!

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Went to Cabela's store in the afternoon.  Wanted to buy a new riflescope and a can of Hodgdon's new powder for the 223 cartridge.  No powder in stock.  No scope in stock.  AHhhhh- - - -  lots of powders,  lots of scopes;  not the ones I was looking for.  Wrong brands of scopes or the ones I cannot,  in my own mind,  justify paying that much for.

Came home,  stewed about it for a couple of hours,  finally ordered a Vortex 3 - 9X,  1 inch tube scope from Cabelas.com online.  It ships direct from the manufacturer--  it says in the fine print;  and is imported. 

This is the scope that will be the next step on my DPMS 5.56 AR,  ref:  "Plunging In."

Thanks for the votes of confidence on the Vortex scope I ordered!!

Cabela's sent a nice Email advisory thanking me for my order and telling me my account has been charged (I think that's what it meant).  They also promised to tell me if the scope ever actually gets shipped.

I suspect that a lot of gun stuff was 'on hold' until the outcome of the recent UN Referendum was clear.  Now the factories in China are making gun stuff again and then there is that trip by container ship;  then handling in the ports and time to get it all warehoused and inventoried;  AND eventually shipped to the stores and the customers with backorders.  How long is all that?

I have an answer to "How Long?"

Sometimes,  apparently,  instantaneous.

It has been an hour since I posted my previous message.  Had reason to go to the front door,  a parcel was on the porch.  The scope is here.  May have been here when I posted that message at 6:37.

Magic?

I protest to the slimey Democrats trying to sneak in an amendent to the cyber security bill which would ban all magazines over 10 rounds. I order a 10-pack of Magpul 30 round magazines for my Spike's Tactical.

I don't know about the rest of you, there are several guns in this house who's standard magazine is more than 10 rounds.

mega billet upper, pri rifle length gen 3 forearm, pri rifle top rail, WOA 18"spr barrel in .223 wylde 1-7, rainier xtc comp, pri flip up front sight tower, young man. phosphate full auto carrier group, bandages to heal my wounds from ordering…… all parts to finish my build…… mk12 mod 0… ordered up.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...